Author Topic: Fencing!  (Read 1348 times)

Mitch K

• One of the Cool Kids
Fencing!
« on: July 02, 2015, 10:06:32 PM »
I love to fence! Most people haven't got a clue about it but I love it! Foil and epee for me - sabre is a roughneck's discipline and best ignored. It would just be nice to see it outside the Olympics as an alternative to the overpaid intellectually pygmies playing football.

Brian

• The Forum's Lord and Master
  • Administrator
    • Wild Man Project
Re: Fencing!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 12:46:46 AM »
My area, the Durham Region, has one of the largest fencing clubs this side of the pond - the Ajax Fencing Club.  I learned foil fencing there back a few years ago along with my wife.  I loved it, and it was great exercise, unfortunately while a coaching chestplate and sleeves were enough to keep me safe during the first level of courses, both insurance and the ethics of the instructor made it impossible for me to continue taking the higher-level courses.

Unfortunately I am a big man, and not just because of my weight:  I have incredibly wide shoulders and a barrel chest.  Even if I lost fifty pounds I would still not be able to fit into any of the jackets that the club owned.  They eventually found and ordered one that would fit a guy my size, but by then a year had passed, and it was just no longer logisitcally feasible for me to get to their classes on Wednesday evenings.

I should like to go back to it one day.

The foil is not a weapon that plays to my strengths, however.  I get hit during foil fencing a lot.  Now a sabre on the other hand... that is a weapon I would love to learn.  Barbaric? Yes, but also great for someone with long arms and legs that are better for running than inching.

In my high-school days I used to fight with both LARP and CSA groups using foam sabres and gladii a great deal, and I was considered a true menace on the battlefield.  I often would down six or seven other men before I was wounded enough to quit the field of honour. No one ever scored a clean kill on me.
I turn everyday guys into superheroes!

Saigo Takamori

• One of the Cool Kids
  • Better every day in Every way
    • QuestPursuit
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 11:20:17 AM »
Ba Bam

Much of stick work is based of short sword work.  I did some fencing early on, I echo with Brian.. foil and eppe are not suited towards one like me with fuller hips  LOL

Never got to do any sabre the instructor spoke with disdain regarding it..LOL
Sweat more  Bitch less

Mitch K

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
My main objection to sabre is that it lacks something that foil and epee both have: the equivalent of "quality of penetration". The tips in competition (non-steam) foils and epees are spring-loaded, and require a given force to close and score a hit. For foil this is based on the force required to push the blade about 4" into the body through normal clothes. If you go 4" deep almost anywhere inside the foil target area, you hit a vital structure, and without modern surgery, a wound like that will be fatal, if not right away (heart/lung/aorta) then sooner or later via internal haemorrage or peritonitis/septicaemia.

In sabre, any contact capable of completing the scoring circuit gains a point. In a sense,the sport has become so detached from its origin as to be meaningless.

Epee is the nearest to a "real"fight - no right of way and a hit anywhere counts. You could win the fight by inflicting a number of non-fatal wounds that wear your opponent down. That and if you think of the era of rapiers, attacking the foil target area would have been a waste of time: no power on earth is going to stick a foil through a breastplate or gorget!

Saigo Takamori

• One of the Cool Kids
  • Better every day in Every way
    • QuestPursuit
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 05:08:56 PM »
Except it is considered bad form to grab an opponents weapon hand.  I could never get past that part... Theoretically  that dude is trying to put holes in me!   I guess I am a savage  North Germanic blood  Yalp!
Sweat more  Bitch less

Mitch K

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 05:56:03 PM »
I find it all too easy to go from fencing to sword-fighting. A second weapon, pommel strikes, a bind followed by corps-a-corps and a knee to the groin or a headbutt...

I've got to get these tendencies under control - once I'm recovered from an operation I'm supposed to be doing a coaching course! :o

BlueWolf

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 08:37:19 PM »
My son has taken up fencing. HeŽs just finished the beginners Group so weŽll see if he stays or wanna try something new. I just have one condition, he got to practice some sport or physical activity but he can choose wich.

Mitch K

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 08:17:07 PM »
A downside of fencing is that there's a limit to what you can do on your own: there's no equivalent of whanging a ball against a wall!

Spazmodic

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 01:32:38 PM »
I took a course in kendo once, which some people describe as "Japanese fencing". Of course it's nothing at all the same. Really it more resembles bipedal jousting, and rather than the thrust you have the hack.

I think I learned just enough to be dangerous to myself with a katana.

Brian

• The Forum's Lord and Master
  • Administrator
    • Wild Man Project
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »
I took a course in kendo once, which some people describe as "Japanese fencing". Of course it's nothing at all the same. Really it more resembles bipedal jousting, and rather than the thrust you have the hack.

I think I learned just enough to be dangerous to myself with a katana.

My brother went to Highschool and University in Japan and took up Kendo while he was there to keep himself fit.  I don;t think he kept it up, but it was a lot of fun to watch him practice.  I should give him a kick in the butt to take it back up...

We took in a few Japanese foreign exchange students while he was there early on ourselves.  It saddened me to learn that the majority of Japanese men these days consider Kendo to be a hobby for losers.  When I asked them why hey said it was "too Japanese"  meaning that it smacked too much of the kind of culture the WWII generation tried cramming down the throats of the younger generations.

I hope that it is changing as our cohort in Japan is getting older.
I turn everyday guys into superheroes!