Author Topic: Rose arbour  (Read 796 times)

• Inner Circle
Re: Rose arbour
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 10:22:21 PM »
I agree Mitch, you can build your IQ for specific uses, but you have to have a certain baseline to gain all around benefits.  I think a strong vocabulary and strong analytical abilities improves that.  What I don't see though is enough teaching of creativity.  Creativity comes from synthesis and/or changing the angle you look at things. 

Etudiant, I think in overall life in my own instance it paid off. 

Mitch K

• One of the Cool Kids
Re: Rose arbour
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 11:15:15 AM »
What I don't see though is enough teaching of creativity. 

Nor will you. There is a wide belief that creativity can only come AFTER you have been taught the theory, history and have carried out a vast volume of structured practice in what you want to do. You can't create music until you have learned scales, theory, and a repetoire of "classics". You cannot write in your own voice until you have a total mastery of spelling, grammar, syntax and etymology. You cannot make worthwhile art until you have mastered the skills of every school and medium.

Here in the UK, the stated purpose of the education system is to drive the economy. If it improves people and gives them resilience and "character" as well, so much the better. The bottom line is that the needs of the economy are prioritised, which requires relatively limited amounts of creativity, and lots of people who can repeat what someone else has done. Creativity is useful only if it makes money...