Author Topic: Other Wargames/RPGs  (Read 395 times)

Mitch K

• One of the Cool Kids
Other Wargames/RPGs
« on: September 05, 2015, 08:37:18 PM »
I don't run ANY rpgs at the moment. I'm running Too Fat Lardies "Dux Brittaniarum" and Gripping Beast's "Saga" dark age wargames. Both use fairly small armies and mechanics that allow some character development. They sort of bridge the gap between wargames and RPGs. I ought to run one soon - since my operation, schlepping the table and setting it up has been too much.

I was partially working on a plan with someone on a wargame site to come up with Saga options to game the late David Gemmell's Drenai Saga. Nadir we!

My other weakness is English Civil War gaming. But we probably shouldn't bring that up... :o

Brian

• The Forum's Lord and Master
  • Administrator
    • Wild Man Project
Re: Other Wargames/RPGs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 11:08:56 AM »
I've not done much tabletop wargaming. 

When I was ten I spent a lot of my Summer at the home of some family friends out in Gasperau, NS in a sprawling old farmhouse with no TV.  The friend's son, Peter, was just a little older than me, and we spent days on end on games.  I learned wargaming there with a game called battlemasters,which was a fairly elaborate one from Citadel.  Setup alone took well over an hour, and the game usually lasted 2-3.  Aside from initial troop placement you didn't do much strategic setup.  IfI could find a copy at a reasonableprice I would buy it in a heartbeat for when my son gets a little older.

After that, though, it was a fair time before I got back into wargames.

I picked up Battletech 4th ed., back when I was 15 years old, but my friends thought it was too  slow paced, and lost interest.  My wife felt the same way when I tried introducing her to it a couple of years later.  A pity, I really enjoyed it.

I tried Warhammer 40,000 a few years later and was quite good at it, my space orks remain undefeated - mind you I've played only 10 battles. Sadly I could not haul my armies up from the States to Canada, and so they remain in my parent's house tucked away in a closet.

I definitely see the appeal of the hobby, my problem has been finding other people that do as well locally.
I turn everyday guys into superheroes!

Mitch K

• One of the Cool Kids
Re: Other Wargames/RPGs
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:39:16 PM »
BattleTech is slow. It's a shame, because visually it really pops. I only played a handful of times but I bought and built some mecha simply because they look so good!

WH40K is a pain because the game works in the principle of built-in obsolesence, with rulesets changing to make your present models unusable, and needing to be replaced at vast expense.

Games like Saga and Dux Brit and their equivalents are useful because armies are small - you don't need 200 figures per side. I have enough to put a number of different groups on the table, so I can spin it out to people who want a game but don't actually own an army themselves.