Author Topic: Better food for better health.  (Read 683 times)

BlueWolf

• One of the Cool Kids
Better food for better health.
« on: September 12, 2015, 01:10:39 PM »
I have Always been somewhat intrested in food, nutrition and health. I thought I knew much about it but my knowledge was pretty shallow I realise know. I have read more about it and watched the following documentries: Fed Up, Fork Over Knifes, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix. That was kind of eye opening! Have any of you seen them? Do it if you have any intrest in improving your or your familys Health! And please do give some feedback here! I did start juicing before this when I followed the advice from Mike at Danger & Play. It has been good for me, I just do it as a part of my overall diet. Thinking about cutting down much more on meat and animal protein sources. How do you guys plan to improve your diets, would love to hear about it!

Etudiant

• Inner Circle
Re: Better food for better health.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »
Bluewolf, I'm cutting down on sugar. Waaaaay too much of that in my diet to be healthy.

Out of interest, what is your reason for cutting down meat and animal based proteins??

Blackwulf

• Inner Circle
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 09:15:19 PM »
What sources of protein are you looking at Bluewolf?  I believe meat, fish and eggs are one of the best sources.  I will not eat any soy based protein.   

My kids are seeming to be naturally leaner than me and my wife were growing up.  We are teaching them to eat more balanced, they do love the normal kids stuff but we just don't but it so much.  My wife cooks 80% of our food at home.   My problem is portion control, hers is inactivity and portion control. 

BlueWolf

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 09:03:07 AM »
There are several studies including one really big one with thousands of participants that proves that there are a connection between consumtion of animal proteins and cancer & heart diseases. I find it difficult to go all out vegan but I think that this is a good  reason to at least cut back on meat. Also the supplement industry and food industry has exaggerated the around of protein needed for muscle growth and good health. You can get plenty from vegetables and a smaller amount of meat. Bonytobestly write some good stuff about training and protein. Soja-based can decrease your testosteron, is that it? And yeah, to much sugar brings our insulin-system into a crazy cycle.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:05:33 AM by BlueWolf »

BlueWolf

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 10:14:29 AM »
Juicing is also a great way to get a lot more vegetables into your diet. Mike over at Danger and Play sells a decent e-book about juicing. Helped me a lot to manage that craving for sweets and fast carbs.

Blackwulf

• Inner Circle
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 04:26:16 PM »
I just read on the US NIH the studies you were talking about.  There is some merit to it about cancer, but some of the studies are skewed because you cancer rates increase based on obesity and smoking.  How much protein are you getting? I know you are at a totally different fitness level than I am. 

BlueWolf

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 08:19:07 PM »
I tried to get those recommended 1gr/lbs. Now I eat less, not sure how much maybe 0,5 gr/lbs or less. Will experiment with it some. Feeling not so full and tired now after eating. Have to get a lot of calories still though.

Blackwulf

• Inner Circle
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 12:23:43 AM »
Protein is going to make you more sated, which is another reason it can help lose weight.  Do what works for you.

BlueWolf

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 07:46:49 PM »
Well, it was hard to gain muscles with the more "healthier" diet. Thats my evaluation... going back to a more protein sated diet even if I try to keep it as healthy as possible to.   :)