Author Topic: Settling in to the Fatherhood Thing  (Read 687 times)

Brian

• The Forum's Lord and Master
  • Administrator
    • Wild Man Project
Settling in to the Fatherhood Thing
« on: November 03, 2015, 04:26:38 PM »
Well, my boy is two weeks old as of last night, and he is already a very strong little thing with great communication skills.

I was worried, as I imagine most of the more experienced fathers on the forum were that it would throw everything into disarray in my life; that I would be worn out, exhausted and love-lorn.  In our culture, we seem to make parenthood out to be the end of the world.  In reality, nothing has ever felt so right to me.

I still have a routine to establish, of course, and friendships to maintain, but I feel pretty good about being a dad.

FWIW, the Sprout is definitely a daddy's boy, too. He sleeps the best and is most content in my arms.  Right now I'm typing one-handed on a bluetooth keyboard so that I can keep the baby in my other arm.

(And the wife finds my fathering skills very sexy, too.)
I turn everyday guys into superheroes!

Etudiant

• Inner Circle
Re: Settling in to the Fatherhood Thing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »
Brian, thats great to hear.  It sounds like you're finding a lot of personal satisfaction in being a father so far!

I've always had the impression that you are very self-aware and mature...I imagine that this will help you develop a nurturing and mutually beneficial relationship!  I'm not surprised at all that being a dad feels so right for you :-).

Mitch K

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 09:00:52 PM »
Brian, you're doing all right, but I've got to tell you, this is the easy bit. It might not seem like it now, but it gets much, much harder. You'll cope, but be aware that the rocks are not all behind you!

Spazmodic

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 02:12:02 AM »
Glad to learn things are going well so far! Now onward down the path toward individuation. It's a difficult path, but perhaps the most meaningful one of all.

Mitch K

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »
[
Raising children is a constant test of your weaknesses and blind spots. All the things you've not dealt with come back and bite you in the ass repeatedly until you handle them.

This!

Totally worth it though. Of all the things I've done in my life my kids have been the most worthwhile and fulfilling. I am delighted with my children, with what they are achieving and who they are becoming.

And this!!!

Saigo Takamori

• One of the Cool Kids
  • Better every day in Every way
    • QuestPursuit
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 01:16:25 PM »
Ba Bam my friend!
Sweat more  Bitch less

Brian

• The Forum's Lord and Master
  • Administrator
    • Wild Man Project
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 03:43:22 PM »
Just don't mistake fulfillment for happiness.

There are some foreheads I need to staple this to.
I turn everyday guys into superheroes!