Author Topic: Smart HRM Bracelet  (Read 164 times)

Mitch K

• One of the Cool Kids
Smart HRM Bracelet
« on: December 27, 2016, 04:59:04 PM »
Guys, my wife has bought me one of these, and whilst it's a very loving present, does it actually serve any useful purpose? I can check my heart rate using my finger on my wrist or neck, so what exactly does it bring to the party?

Takeshi Kovacs

• Inner Circle
Re: Smart HRM Bracelet
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 11:39:40 PM »
I have a friend who likes graphing his workout heart rate...

Haven't used one, I have a rough sense of my heart rate as my swim coach is keen on interval training within specific aerobic zones; 75%, 85%, 95% heart rate. Not a fan of the 50 and 100m 95% sprints!  it would probably be good for calibrating a sense for general aerobic zone. As for long term used I don't see a lot of value. I had a fitbit and that was interesting briefly but the killer app for that is calories burned and I don't care about that except to make sure I'm not losing too much when I'm training a lot. Scale does that for me fine.

you could look up the model and see if the are interesting hacks/uses. I'd say try using it during sex but...  :(
The past is just data, I only see the future... -Ayrton Senna

Mitch K

• One of the Cool Kids
Re: Smart HRM Bracelet
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 06:03:41 PM »
So it's perilously close to being a solution looking for a problem? Apparently it will tell me when I've missed a call on my phone. How it does this more efficiently than me having my phone in the chest pocket of my shirt all the time is a bit unclear. It will count steps (so will a pedometer from the pound shop) and make some kind of SWAG at calorie use. Tits on a fish, basically. I'm wearing it because it was a gift, but by the sound of things it would have been marginally higher on the list of things I would buy myself than a packet of tampons.