Author Topic: Workout program for you?  (Read 243 times)

Ozzy

• One of the Cool Kids
Workout program for you?
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:16:26 AM »
Trying to restart some discussions...so what are you doing for workout/exercise these days?

I started CrossFit in November '16.  I never really thought I'd be a crossfit type person, but I figured I needed something structured that would give me a good ass kicking every time, and it certainly fits the bill that way.  I've been at it for a whole two months now, which is probably longer than any other program I've done, so it's working :)

What I like:
1.  Structure - you show up, read the board, do the stuff, and you're done.  Not much thinking or planning required
2.  More structure - it's on a regular schedule, so M,W,F 6pm I know where I'll be.
3.  Variety - weight lifting, cardio, gymnastic stuff, misc stuff, not the same thing day after day, week after week
4.  Included training at the start with the on-ramp program to teach all the basic stuff before setting me loose in the main class
5.  Coaches always willing to help, answer questions, show the movements, etc.  Good and personable coaches at our box
6.  It's only an hour, so I'm in, I'm out and I know at the end I'll have gotten some sort of a good workout.

Takeshi Kovacs

• Inner Circle
Re: Workout program for you?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:06:16 AM »
Nice Ozzy. The best possible workout is the one you're willing to do. I bet you're seeing some noticeable physical changes already with that schedule.

Crossfit looks cool but I'm old and pre-injured so very concerned with form not speed.

current workout/exercise:
* swim 2-3 sessions per week (1hr, ~3km per) usually Masters group with defined workout
* gym 3 sessions per week (1.5hrs), Stronglifts 5x5 and 25 min  stretches and planks for back
** upped my protein intake, pushed the lifts more and have put on ~15lbs of mostly muscle in the last couple months
* yoga 1-2 times per week (1hr per session)
* bike to work 15m each way, weather permitting

The yoga is somewhat new; found a good teacher and time and it's a form of physical meditation.

Gym I like to go really early if I can, like before 5am. Gym mostly empty no chit chat, no eye contact.

it's quite seasonal for me; swimming ramps up quite a bit at the expense of everything else as summer approaches.
The past is just data, I only see the future... -Ayrton Senna

Ozzy

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 01:57:45 AM »
That plan looks pretty good.  Strength, cardio, mobility, good diet - hard to beat that.

You can do CrossFit with good form, but you have to want to...  Sure there's always that crazy guy wailing away on stuff, but he's probably 1/2 or more my age and has been athletic most of his life, unlike my sedentary self.   

I always scale weight down so I can do good form if there are a lot of reps, because I know, as a old dude, I've got to be careful about overdoing it.  I'm not going to the CrossFit games, so if I finish last, so be it...

The trick is that I'm still trying to learn how much to scale, how much to push, how intense to do the cardio related stuff so that I don't totally gas myself out in the first few minutes. 

Takeshi Kovacs

• Inner Circle
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 09:09:09 PM »
I confess I know nothing about crossfit so that may become interesting to me at some point. I have a history of diluting my enthusiasm across too many areas so I tend to ration my exposure to potentially fun new stuff.

My swim gets me a changeable workout, whatever the coach has decided to inflict on us that day, I see the appeal in getting a  different workout handed to you every time you go. My gym time is very programmed and not variable at all.

Has crossfit helped with weight loss/muscle loss for you?
The past is just data, I only see the future... -Ayrton Senna

Ozzy

• One of the Cool Kids
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 07:33:53 PM »
It's only been a couple months, but strength is already increasing, as is cardio endurance. 

My weight is still about the same, down a few lbs though, but I need to work the diet end of things a little harder, as I'd like to lose about 20-25 lbs to really be in optimal shape appearance wise.

Most boxes will let you go for free a few times, so if you want to check it out you should be able to do that without commitment.  At our box they have a masters & mobility class, which is aimed at the older crowd and focuses a little more on the mobility stuff and is slightly less intense.  Every box is different though, so google around and see what your town has to offer.